1.21.2008

Stages


She throws her head back, the tears are streaming down her face, her back arches, she tries to get out of my grip, the crying and screaming pierce my ears - my baby is in a full fledged tantrum.  She wants her independence and her freedom, yet she
 doesn't have the words to tell me her wants and needs.  The tantrums surprise me.  She has been such an
 easy going and gentle baby.  Now she is becoming an unpredictable toddler.   She is petite in stature but strong in her will.  It is an adventure watching her personality unfold.  She doesn't seem to have a middle ground - there is one extreme or another.  I can honestly do without the tantrums (couldn't we all). It is part of this stage that I don't want to remember, I don't want to embrace.  

I see the sweet and gentle side of my baby.  It melts my heart.  It makes me forget the tantrum that may have been just moments before. I see her wave hello and blow kisses to the grandmas at church who love babies, I see her lay her head on the shoulder of our elderly neighbor who misses holding and loving on babies, I see her laugh and play with her siblings, I see her face light up when I come in the room, I see her race for the door when she hears the garage door open and she knows her daddy is home.  I love those mo
ments.  I treasure watching her trying to take her first steps, say her first words, imitate her siblings in play - it is an amazing gift to be able to experience these moments.  I know I can't have the excitement and joys without the feelings of frustration and helplessness as she throws her tantrums.   This stage will pass in a blink.  I am watching eyes wide open. I don't want to miss a thing.

7 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Wow, we must have been thinking the same things today in working with tantrums! It *is* so nice to see the softer sides as a reminder of what wonderful potential they have to be kind, gentle, loving, etc. Hope you're having a good (rest of) the day!

Earen said...

What a sweet post for your little girl, even in the hard times. I hate the tantrums, but how many times do I have my adult tantrum..we just "sometimes" know how to control it better, right?! HA! Great post!

Lynn said...

Sweet, sweet girl. They say a strong will is usually indicative of leadership qualities later in life. Amazing how they have their own little personalities from the very beginning.

Don't you love the head-on-your-shoulder cuddle. That is the best!

Joyful Weddings and Events said...

Thanks for the sweet post- it is very encouraging to me! After my hardest days with Isaiah, he'll smile at me while cuddling in my arms and I almost forget about the frustrating, tear-filled moments. Treasuring all of the moments of each stage they are in: one of the biggest lessons I have learned about mommyhood thus far.

Short Stop said...

This one made me cry! She is so blessed that you are her Momma!

This reminded me so much of Jack. He was such an easy going baby...SO easy to care for. But, he is a tough, strong-willed toddler. I wouldn't trade his personality for another, nor would I trade the tender moments like the ones you've shared!

LOVED this post, K!

lindsey said...

wow! i can relate on this one! the nearly bipolar extremes are so hard to find balance in. this too shall pass...

Sarah Markley said...

This is hard and sad and sweet. I am in this stage right now with Naomi! It will pass and it will be bittersweet.