4.05.2008

Vacation

In my mind, I have grand plans for the vacations I want to take with my family.  There are so many places I want to explore with my children and many experiences I want to give them.  I have lists of trips I would love to take as a family.

When we moved to Idaho, a few things changed in our lives. For one, we are now three states and about fifteen hundred miles from family.  Instead of family vacations, we take vacations to see our family. The other thing to change was Lance's schedule.  He went from having holidays off and a great summer schedule (13 days on then 9 days off) to working on holidays (unless it falls on a weekend) and vacation time that is now unpaid and based on the availability of his partners to cover his work.  

When I decided to run the marathon in San Diego, the visions of a family vacation were dancing in my head.  I started researching and planning our day trips to Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and the Wild Animal Kingdom.  Then reality set in.  How would we juggle the marathon weekend with what I wanted to see/do while in San Diego? How much time could Lance truly take off? If we go, then are we sacrificing a trip to visit our family (oh the guilt factor was big)? I came to the conclusion that I would just go to San Diego on my own. It would be easier, more cost effective, the list goes on ......

I have been reading Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist (thanks to Sarah's giveaway).  She has a chapter in her book about vacations.  The entire chapter changed how I was viewing vacations, but this one statement grabbed me:
"Vacations are the act of grabbing minutes and hours and days with both hands, stealing against the inevitability of time." 
 I cried as the reality of those words struck me.  We would be making memories my kids (at least the older two) will remember forever!  There is no price tag on these experiences.  If we could make it work, with Lance's schedule and financially then we needed to take this trip as a family and make the best of the time we could spend in San Diego. Instead of focusing on not having enough time to do everything, I need to focus on our time together and what things we will be able to experience.
Yesterday, I did it. I bought the 3 for 1 City Passes at Cost*co.  There is no turning back now.  We are taking our first official family vacation! 

6 comments:

Jenni S. said...

You won't regret it, Kristen! I remember as a kid, my family didn't always get along and there was some serious dysfunction at times, but somehow we always came together for the family vacations and they are some of my favorite memories from childhood! You all will have a great time and I think it's awesome that you took that step of faith!

Short Stop said...

Is it okay if this post made me cry? I hope so, cause it did.

I have had all of these same feelings...going to see family, vacation time, take the kids?, go away alone...the list goes on and on.
I agree with Jenni...some of my most favorite childhood memories are from our family vacations.

Love the quote from CT. Grab on with both hands, friend!

Joyful Weddings and Events said...

I am so excited that you guys are coming! I cannot wait to spend some time with you. You will love San Diego!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Kristen!

Jut think of the example the kids will get to see and remember as you cross that finish line running a marathon to raise funds for a great organization!

That to me is the greatest memory your children can keep!

I'm sure you'll have fun in San Diego though too. :)

Earen said...

Good for you! I know you'll have a wonderful time. I love SanDiego.

Shan said...

I hope I can spend some time with you also!! We'll come down there to Courtney's :} can't wait!